- Set goal to training session
- in agility for example handling sequence or obstacle training
- in obedience I set goals to each movement I train
- Also I might train just drive
- I plan every step of training
- I might even make some trouble shooting before hand to make plan if some training errors occur
- I want to make why reward and what I want to gain by rewarding certain behavior
- I check how our training have been going before and plan the exercises according to that
- I vision my training session in my head and try to get picture how it should look
- after training I make summary of the training session
- how did it go
- what we have to improve
- most importantly I write what things went super good!!
After writing this, it feels like I do a lot. Reality is I do this much as I can but sometimes I just train what ever comes to my mind. I have seen, that planing and taking time to really think what I want from my dogs, makes big difference. I can save time. Make better training results and also give better training to others. Best way to be better trainer for my dog and other handlers is to understand why we do things to way we do. It's never ending story.. And every must write their own!
Marianne, Louise and Pixie